New Paper Wave signing The Secret Soul Society has given us a gorgeously wonky re-rub of 70s MOR type, Elkie Brooks. Its all rubber bass, Rhodes and sonic burblings for some serious horizontal aural pleasure.
The second volume of Sunday Paper explores some of the more laid-back and forgotten corners of the back catalogue that may have been missed in the rush for the dancefloor.
There’s the soundtrack sounds of Streetlife Originals, Truant taking a balearic route through South Manchester, Daco’s deep easy listening and Flash Atkins mixing up an epic chilled out odyssey. There are gems from the early days like the Problem Kids collaboration with Ashley Beedle, one of Crazy Penis’ finest moments on Give It Up, the leftfield classic Wayback by Hubtone and Shaboom’s mesmerising Bessie’s Reprise that has been remastered and edited for this compilation. New schoolers Joe Morris, La Guardia De La Luz and Proviant Audio add some soul with Kahuun and The Bionics getting seriously horizontal.
Summer is here at last!
1. Streetlife Originals – A Sidewalk Story
2. Truant – Rifle Range
3. Daco – Aquarium
4. 2 Billion Beats – Mega City One (Flash Atkins Mix)
5. Problem Kids – Mardi Gras Featuring Ashley Beedle
6. The Bionics – Moving Day
7. La Guardia De La Luz – House Metafísico
8. Crazy Penis – Give It Up
9. Kahuun – Le Rouge (Remaster)
10. Hubtone – Wayback
11. Proviant Audio – Drifting
12. Joe Morris – Elysium
13. Shaboom – Bessie (Sunday Paper Reprise Edit)(Remaster)
Paper Recordings has built up a formidable back catalogue over its twenty years and often steered wide of the house blueprint. So here is the first compilation of a series called “Sunday Paper Vol.1” (see what we did there) of it’s more Balearic and leftfield output.
There are stone cold classics from the early days that include Hot Toddy’s sun drenched Sometime Last Night and Rune Lindbæk / Torbjørn Brundtland’s (Röyksopp) Those Norwegians psychedelic disco Dom B. Sensi. Missed nuggets like Daco’s blissed out Play My Mind and Problem Kids’ Take A Small Break up to new kids on the block like Proviant Audio’s Drifting and Jamie L’s sample lowbeat Something Better (which was a Mr Scruff favourite) as well as other sun drenched favourites.
There are also re-masters of Future Rhythm Foundation’s tripped out Soul Dredging, Truant’s Song of a City (featuring one of Crazy P’s Danielle Moore’s first ever vocals) and Crazy P’s ever green Summer Bummer.
Overall its a timeless compilation that will keep hipster bearded musos and your Gran equally happy come BBQ time.
1. Hot Toddy – Sometime Last Night
2. Just Harris feat. Laura Vane – 1,2 3 Breathe (Downtempo Mix)
3. Keyboy – Viva Blue (Mudd’s Width & Comfort Mix)
4. Truant feat. Danielle Moore – Song of a City
5. Proviant Audio – Drifting
6. The Bionics – Novosoho
7. Joe Morris – Sky Drops
8. The Deadstock 33s – Ascension
9. Those Norwegians – Dom B. Sensi
10. Jamie L – Something Better
11. Crazy Penis – I Am Love (Flash Atkins Rework)
12. Future Rhythm Foundation – Soul Dredging (Remaster)
13. Crazy Penis – Summer Bummer (Remaster)
14. Problem Kids – Take A Small Break (Vocal Mix)
15. Flash Atkins – Make Your Move (Ashley Beedle Mix)
Flash Atkins tries to drive away the rain with some downtempo blissed out grooves.
Sign up to our Newsletter
Paper has been pushing all things deep house and disco from the furthest reaches of the world via the good old North of England since the early Nineties.